First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor, Michigan, seeks an organist to join a dynamic worship team serving an historic church with a vital tradition of creative ministry in music and the arts.
Located on the edge of the University of Michigan campus, First Presbyterian Church is a 1500-member congregation of the PCUSA that seeks to serve God, the community, and the world, taking a variety of musical styles and modes and employing them to enrich our worship and ministries. Corporate worship is the central act of our faith community. The church holds three Sunday morning worship services (a communion at 8:00 a.m. and regular services at 9:30 and 11:00 a.m.) as well as special services throughout the year. The church has two pipe organs: a 3-manual, 42-rank instrument in the main sanctuary built by Schoenstein & Co. in 2001 (designer: Jack Bethards); and a smaller, two-manual, 3-rank Moller in Monteith Hall, where chapel services are held.
This is a part-time exempt position. The organist plays the organ and piano for the regularly scheduled 9:30 and 11:00 a.m. weekly worship services, a monthly Taize service, and special seasonal services throughout the liturgical year. Additional responsibilities include playing for weekly Chancel Choir rehearsals (Thursdays, 7:00 – 9:00 p.m.) and serving as an accompanist for ensembles, soloists, and instrumentalists, and the primary organist for weddings and memorial services.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in music required, with concentration in organ performance
- Graduate degree in organ and/or advanced training in church music desirable
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as an organist for a large congregation, with proven skills as a worship leader from the organ bench
- Deep knowledge of sacred organ repertoire and familiarity with multiple styles and genres; ability to adapt choral accompaniments, including orchestral reductions, for the organ
- An understanding of the organist’s role as a worship leader from both a musical and a theological perspective; an understanding of music as an offering in worship and performance
- Proven ability to work collegially, as part of an interdisciplinary worship team, and to understand that collaboration is crucial to a church organist’s success
Send a letter of application, complete professional resume, and the names of three references to firstname.lastname@example.org; or to Organist Search, First Presbyterian Church, 1432 Washtenaw Avenue, Ann Arbor, MI 48104.
Deadline: November 15, 2020. Review of applications begins immediately, but applications received before deadline will receive full consideration.
For further Information, contact Mr. David VanderMeer, Minister of Music and Fine Arts, First Presbyterian Church of Ann Arbor. Email: email@example.com. Phone: (734) 662-4466 (church office); (404) 808-4373 (mobile).