Join First Pres! It’s even easier! We encourage you to make a commitment and become a formal member of First Pres. And we have a new way you can do it! On particular Sundays, you can click a Zoom link at noon and gather briefly with a pastor and two ruling elders of Session to join. Tell us who you are and what you would like to know about us, as well as giving us a glimpse into your own faith journey.
Those opportunities are September 20, October 4, and October 18, at noon, for about a 1/2 hour. You will be officially received at the October 21 Session meeting. Then, complete your membership with a required online class at 11:00 a.m. on October 25 as a follow-up to your joining (back up date in November TBD). The class will be led by staff and members, and will be informative and fun! Want to know more about what joining means, why do it, or how it will change you, and us? Contact Rev. Rogers for a conversation at firstname.lastname@example.org, or 734-355-2351.
We ask all those who wish to join to attend a new member's class, offered multiple times throughout the year. After completing the class those who wish to join formally will do on a subsequent Sunday. There will be an 8 a.m. new member breakfast before the 9:30 a.m. worship service. At the breakfast, individuals wishing to join are introduced to the Session elders, deacons, and sponsors chosen to help guide them in their first year of membership. Your family and special guests are invited to this joyful feast, as well! In the worship service at 9:30, you will be introduced to the congregation, given a special blessing and welcome by the minister, and asked the questions of membership.
The questions of membership are:
- Who is your Lord and Savior? Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
- Do you trust him? I do.
- Do you intend to be his disciple, to obey his Word, and to show his love? I do.
- Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way, and will you seek the fellowship of the church wherever you may be? I will.
Individuals may join the church by Profession of Faith and Baptism (for those who have never been baptized), by Reaffirmation of Faith (for those who are not currently active members of another Christian church), or by Transfer of Church Letter (for those on the active roll of another church.) Individuals may also choose to join as an Affiliate Member, meant for those in Ann Arbor on a short-term basis who are active church members elsewhere. Especially appropriate for college students, it carries all the privileges of active membership except the right to vote in congregational meetings and hold church office.
Forms / Handouts
- New Member Class Information Form - This form helps us in multiple ways: in creating or updating your information for our church records; in learning how we can best serve you as you join our official membership; and in providing us a way to start getting to know one another.
- New Member Class Handout - Information about First Pres: who we are, our ministries, church membership questions, how we are governed, etc.