Welcome to this ministry! We are so glad that you have listened to the voice of God calling you into this ordered ministry as a Ruling Elder or Deacon. It is a magnificent calling, and we are all pleased to join you in this ministry. Officer Training plus an Officer Retreat are before us as we come together to prepare you for these roles.
Officer Training Schedule
You will need three documents, the Book of Confessions and the Book of Order of the Presbyterian Church (USA), plus a resource book, Selected to Serve: A Guide for Church Leaders, Earle S. Johnson, (Louisville, KY, Geneva Press, 2012) . The cost for all 3 books is $35, a considerable discount.
While you can download the Book of Confessions and the Book of Order of the Presbyterian Church (USA), copies of both books are recommended. You can pick them up in the Church Office on Sunday mornngs. Please make checks payable to First Presbyterian Church.
Session 1 (September 22, 2019, 8:00 a.m. in the Lewis Room)
What Do We Believe? Core Beliefs of Our Presbyterian Faith, Part 1
- Where Does God Meet Us?
- In What Ways Does God Claim Us?
- Who Is God? Jesus? Holy Spirit?
- What is the Church?
Leaders: Rev. Jay Sanderford and a Resident Minister
What Do We Believe?
- Read and meditate on Mark 8:27-38 "You are the Christ…"
- Read some background information on what we as Presbyterians believe:
What Do Presbyterians Believe? By Donald McKim.
- Watch: Theoacademy: Being Presbyterian: Foundations of Presbyterian Discipleship
- Lesson 1: A People of Grace
- Lesson 2: Wicked Bad
- Lesson 3: Who do they say that I am?
- Read in the Book of Confessions:
- The Apostle’s Creed
- The Brief Statement of Faith
- The Sarasota Statement
- In your own words, drawing from the Bible and our Confessions, jot down your ideas, poems, art or photos and thoughts on one of these topics and bring it with you on Sunday morning. Please write down a page or so of your thoughts, questions, and curiosities and bring it with you on Sunday morning. Consider who…
- God is...
- Jesus is...
- Holy Spirit is...