Big House Mission
Sign Up to Sell Concessions at the University of Michigan Football Games
The 2013 Season Dates
- April 13 - Spring Game (morning)
- May 4 - Commencement (morning)
- August 31 - Central Michigan
- Sept. 7 - Notre Dame (Night Game)
- Sept. 14 - Akron
- Oct. 5 - Minnesota
- Oct. 19 - Indiana
- Nov. 9 - Nebraska
- Nov. 30 - Ohio State
About the "Big House Mission"
The "Big House Mission" began under the leadership of Ginny Rezmierski, who saw the working of a concession booth at the Big House during football games as a great way to raise money for missions and to bring a diverse group of people from First Pres Ann Arbor together. Six years ago, Frank Bongiorno took over the leadership of what was then called Booth 38. In the fall of 2010, Sodexo took over the concessions at the Big House and much changed.
The best part is now we receive 11% of the money taken in each game. This ranges from $600-1,000 for mission per game. The approved Missions for 2012 are: Youth Mission, Mature Mission, Philippines, Haiti, Campus Mission, and Habitat.
At each game, 25-30 First Pres people gather three hours before game time. We all wear khakis or slacks (no jeans), closed toe shoes and when we arrive we put on a provided UM jersey, a UM baseball hat, and an apron. The particular booths change season to season and in 2012 we may be staffing two booths!
We start selling concessions two hours before game time. Before then we have to prepare the food, get an accurate count of every cup, hotdog, pretzel, candy box, etc. After the game we count everything again and this is compared to the money received to see what we have sold. It is a lot of time, but the fun is in working together and being the public smiling face of our church.
1. Please do not take volunteering lightly. We really do need a full crew for every game in order to function efficiently and maximize our sales. By Tuesday before the game, we have turned in our names to Sodexo and security so we are the team. There are 25 of us total - and all are needed.
2. Arrival: Park for free at Wolverine Towers by the mall and catch the buses to the game or come your own way. Enter at Gate 2 by Chrysler Arena facing E. Stadium Drive. Please bring your DRIVER'S LICENSE OR PICTURE ID as it may be checked.
3. ALLOWED: Binoculars (no case), cell phones, pagers, small cameras, small radios, blankets and rain apparel but no umbrellas
4. NOT ALLOWED: All bags/purses/fanny packs, all bottles (including water), containers of any type, aerosol and spray cans, and seat backs, etc.
5. To sign up, this year, all registrations will come through the online form so that we can track who worked so the ministries can be credited properly (see signup section above).