Interested in becoming a member of First Pres? The next New Member Class will be held Sunday, May 31 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. (lunch and child care provided). Joining date is March 22. To sign up or inquire about membership, contact The Rev. Melissa Anne Rogers, Associate Pastor, (734) 662-4466, ext. 390, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We ask all those who wish to join to attend a new member's class, offered multiple times throughout the year.
After completing the class those who wish to join formally will do on a subsequent Sunday. There will be an 8 a.m. new member breakfast before the 9:30 a.m. worship service. At the breakfast, individuals wishing to join are introduced to the Session elders, deacons, and sponsors chosen to help guide them in their first year of membership. Your family and special guests are invited to this joyful feast, as well! In the worship service at 9:30, you will be introduced to the congregation, given a special blessing and welcome by the minister, and asked the questions of membership.
2015 Spring Class Dates
- Sunday, March 8 from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Joining date is March 22.
- Sunday, May 31 from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Joining date is June 14.
Tell Me More About This Church!
Dr. Fairfax F. Fair will lead an open one-hour conversation with any interested in knowing more about us - our history, theology, practices, governance, who we are as a staff, our vision, and more - on Sunday, April 26 at 12:10 p.m., after worship. Lunch will be provided but reservations are required. Childcare is provided upon request. Sign up by emailing Rev. Rogers at email@example.com or by calling the Church Office at (734) 662-4466.
The questions of membership are:
- Who is your Lord and Savior? Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior.
- Do you trust him? I do.
- Do you intend to be his disciple, to obey his Word, and to show his love? I do.
- Will you be a faithful member of this congregation, giving of yourself in every way, and will you seek the fellowship of the church wherever you may be? I will.
Individuals may join the church by Profession of Faith and Baptism (for those who have never been baptized), by Reaffirmation of Faith (for those who are not currently active members of another Christian church), or by Transfer of Church Letter (for those on the active roll of another church.) Individuals may also choose to join as an Affiliate Member, meant for those in Ann Arbor on a short-term basis who are active church members elsewhere. Especially appropriate for college students, it carries all the privileges of active membership except the right to vote in congregational meetings and hold church office.
Forms / Handouts
- New Member Class Information Form - This form helps us in multiple ways: in creating or updating your information for our church records; in learning how we can best serve you as you join our official membership; and in providing us a way to start getting to know one another.
- New Member Class Handout - Information about First Pres: who we are, our ministries, church membership questions, how we are governed, etc.